Tuesday, December 5, 2017
Tuesday, December 5th
On Tuesday, the House will meet at 10:00 a.m. for morning hour and 12:00 p.m. for legislative business. First and Last Votes Expected: 1:15 p.m. - 2:15 p.m
1) H.R. 3731 - Secret Service Recruitment and Retention Act of 2017, as amended (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep.John Katko (R-NY) | Judiciary Committee
Topline Summary: This bill would remove certain limits on overtime pay earned by employees of the Secret Service who either provided protective services in calendar year 2017 or will provide them in 2018.
2) H.R. 3317 - SAFE Act (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Dave Trott (R-MI) | Judiciary Committee
Topline Summary: This bill would increase the federal penalty for Female Genital Mutilation from up to to 5 years of imprisonment to up to 15 years of imprisonment.
3) S. 1266 - Enhancing Veteran Care Act (PDF)
Sponsor: Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) | Veterans Affairs Committee
Topline Summary: This bill would authorize the VA to contract with a nonprofit organization that accredits U.S. healthcare organization/programs to investigate and assess//report deficiencies at VA medical centers (VAMCs).
4) H.R. 2658 - Venezuela Humanitarian Assistance and Defense of Democratic Governance Act of 2017, as amended (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Eliot Engel (D-NY) | Foreign AffairsCommittee
Topline Summary: This bill addresses the humanitarian crisis in Venezuela.
5) H.Con. Res. 90 - Condemning ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya and calling for an end to the attacks in and an immediate restoration of humanitarian access to the state of Rakhine in Burma, as amended (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Joseph Crowley (D-NY) | Foreign Affairs Committee
Topline Summary: This bill condemns the attacks against civilians by Burma's military and security forces and calls on Burma's Commander-in-Chief to immediately end all attacks against civilians in the state of Rakhine.
6) H.R. 1164 - Taylor Force Act, as amended (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Doug Lamborn (R-CO) | Foreign Affairs Committee
Topline Summary: This bill would withhold nearly all economic aid to the West Bank and Gaza that directly benefits the Palestinian Authority (PA) unless the PA meets certain conditions.
7) H.Res. 259 - Expressing concern and condemnation over the political, economic, social, and humanitarian crisis in Venezuela, as amended (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) | Foreign Affairs Committee
Topline Summary: This bill urges the Government of Venezuela to suspend its convening of national constituent assembly, which took place on July 30, 2017, and to heed international community calls for free and fair elections.