Week of March 12th
On the Floor this Week: 11 Suspensions & 3 Rule Bills
Tuesday, March 13th
On Tuesday, the House will meet at 12:00 p.m. for morning hour and 2:00 p.m. for legislative business. Votes will be postponed until 6:30 p.m.
1) S. 324 - State Veterans Home Adult Day Health Care Improvement Act of 2017 (PDF)
Sponsor: Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) | Veterans Affairs Committee
Topline Summary: This bill would direct VA to enter into a contract/agreement with state veterans homes (SVHs) to pay for adult day health care for a veteran eligible for but not receiving nursing home care.
2) H.R. 4465 - Endangered Fish Recovery Programs Extension Act of 2017 (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. John Curtis (R-UT) | Natural Resources Committee
Topline Summary: This bill extends through 2023, the specific authority of the Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) to collect and spend certain proceeds from the sale of electricity generated by hydropower plants owned by BOR for endangered fish recovery programs in the Upper Colorado River and San Juan River Basins.
3) H.R. 1800 - To direct the Secretary of Agriculture to transfer certain Federal land to facilitate scientific research supporting Federal space and defense programs, as amended (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT) | Natural Resources Committee
Topline Summary: This bill authorizes the transfer of an 80-acre parcel of United States Forest Service (USFS) land currently under the administrative control of the Wasatch-Cache National Forest, but which is located outside of the actual Wasatch-Cache National Forest boundaries, to the Utah State University Research Foundation (a 501(c)(3) non-profit).
4) H.R. 3469 - To designate the bridge located in Blount County, Tennessee, on the Foothills Parkway (commonly known as Bridge 2) as the "Dean Stone Bridge" (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. John Duncan (R-TN) | Natural Resources Committee
Topline Summary: This bill renames a bridge located in Blount County, Tennessee, as the “Dean Stone Bridge.”
5) H.R. 4266 - Acadia National Park Boundary Clarification Act, as amended (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Bruce Poliquin (R-ME) | Natural Resources Committee
Topline Summary: This bill addresses a wide range of issues related to the boundaries of the Acadia National Park, harvesting of marine organisms in the intertidal zone, and public involvement in park planning.
6) H.R. 1350 - To modify the boundary of Voyageurs National Park in the State of Minnesota, and for other purposes (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Rick Nolan (D-MN) | Natural Resources Committee
Topline Summary: This bill modifies the official boundaries of Voyageurs National Park in Minnesota, which is managed by the National Park Service (NPS).
7) H.R. ____ - Trickett Wendler, Frank Mongiello, Jordan McLinn, and Matthew Bellina Right to Try Act of 2018 (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA) | Energy and Commerce Committee
Topline Summary: This bill authorizes the use of eligible investigational drugs by patients who have been diagnosed with a certain illnesses, exhausted approved treatment options and is not eligible to participate in a clinical trial.
Wednesday, March 14th
On Wednesday, the House will meet at 10:00 a.m. for morning hour and 12:00 p.m. for legislative business.
1) H.R. 4909 - STOP School Violence Act of 2018, as amended (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. John Rutherford (R-FL) | Judiciary Committee
Topline Summary: This bill reauthorizes and amends the Secure Our Schools program through the Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Assistance, providing local law enforcement, school personnel and students with the tools they need to proactively prevent a threat.
2) H.R. 3996 - Protecting Access to the Courts for Taxpayers Act (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) | Judiciary Committee
Topline Summary: This bill authorizes district court judges to transfer to the U.S. Tax Court (USTC) cases for which the USTC has jurisdiction.
3) H.R. 506 - Preventing Crimes Against Veterans Act of 2017, as amended (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Tom Rooney (R-FL) | Judiciary Committee
Topline Summary: This bill establishes a new federal crime against defrauding individuals of veterans’ benefits.
4) H.R. 3249 - Project Safe Neighborhoods Grant Program Authorization Act of 2017, as amended (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Barbara Comstock (R-VA) | Judiciary Committee
Topline Summary: This bill establishes the Project Safe Neighborhoods Block Grant Program within the Department of Justice's Office of Justice Programs to foster and improve existing partnerships to create safer neighborhoods through sustained reductions in crimes committed by criminal street gangs and transnational organized crime groups.
1 Rule Bill
1) H.R. 1116 - TAILOR Act of 2017 (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Scott Tipton (R-CO) | Financial Services Committee
Topline Summary: This bill moves federal financial regulatory agencies that regulate financial institutions away from a static or one-size-fits-all approach when implementing regulations. Specifically, the bill requires the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the National Credit Union Administration, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to take risk profiles and business models of institutions into account when taking regulatory actions.
Thursday, March 15th, and the balance of the week
On Thursday, the House will meet at 10:00 a.m. for morning hour and 12:00 p.m. for legislative business.
On Friday, the House will meet at 9:00 a.m. for legislative business. Last votes expected no later than 3:00 p.m.
2 Rule Bills
1) H.R. 4545 - Financial Institutions Examination Fairness and Reform Act (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Scott Tipton (R-CO) | Financial Services Committee
Topline Summary: This bill amends the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council Act of 1978 to require federal financial regulatory agencies provide a final examination report to a financial institution within 60 days after either the exit interview for an examination of the institution or the provision of additional information by the institution relating to the examination, whichever happens later.
2) H.R. 4263 - Regulation A+ Improvement Act of 2017 (PDF)
Sponsor: Rep. Tom MacArthur (R-NJ) | Financial Services Committee
Topline Summary: This bill increases the offering amount that companies can offer under Tier 2 of Regulation A from $50 million to $75 million, adjusted for inflation by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) every two years to the nearest $10,000.